[SOLVED] How To create dynamic network out of Excel?

Evolution and dynamics on networks in Gephi: UI, data formats, algorithms...
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Oliver111
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[SOLVED] How To create dynamic network out of Excel?

Post by Oliver111 » 04 Nov 2011 15:52

Dear Community,

For my research project - and my dissertation - I use methods of network analysis. I am especially interested in analyzing my data under dynamic aspects (evolution and changes of networks).

I am not quite familiar with XML, java and all that stuff, as it is not my profesion. :geek:
My question:
Is somewhere out there a description of how to create out of an Excelsheet a dynamic network?
Experiences
I already checked the given description in the wiki and the primer document and made some tryouts. Unfortunately it didn't work.

1: I tryed to import static timeframes as described in the wiki - Gephi created new nodes, instead of adding the information of the timeframe to the existing ones. For example a new edge was created by new nodes as well, instead of connecting existing nodes.
2: I definetely need the "spell" functionality, because in my data nodes and edges appear and disappear several times. As far as I understood this is not possible by using the description given in the wiki? Or is it?

After checking the primer document I knew roughly how the gexf file has to look like. But once again I cannot create the code manually. :(

So please give me some advice of how to prepare my data. I worked with gehphi for 1 year now and I keep on working more intensifely with it the following year and will not hesitate to share my experiences and publications. ;)

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: How To create dynamic network out of Excel?

Post by admin » 04 Nov 2011 18:41

Oliver111

Post by Oliver111 » 08 Nov 2011 09:50

Hi,

thanks a lot for the link. I created and exemplary network out of my data, yesterday. Unfortuantely it was a lot of manual work. :(

Anyway. Now, i realized the next problem when using the timeline...

I used "dates" as for example [2009-10-02, 2009-10-02] to define the dynamic of nodes and edges. In total my timerange is about 2 years. Now I want to create slices of approximately one month to analyse the changes in the network. When I reduce the size of the timelinebar to 1 month and start moving the bar the scale of the timeline changes from month to days?
How can I set the scale of the time and keep it constant while moving?
Thanks a lot
Neues Bild.JPG
Enclosed the screenshot

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 08 Nov 2011 19:22

Hi, the Timeline tries to find automatically the best scale without visual clutter. This behavior should be improved in the future, as a new timeline is in progress.

Oliver111

Post by Oliver111 » 15 Nov 2011 08:48

Hi,

I´m looking forward to see the new timelinebar, as it is a promising feature. Is already a release date set?
For now I changed the time Interval from date to numerical figures and closed the big gaps - and its working :-)

Grezze
Oliver