[SOLVED] Suggested Time Value Scale?

Evolution and dynamics on networks in Gephi: UI, data formats, algorithms...
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
cpdiehl
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[SOLVED] Suggested Time Value Scale?

Post by cpdiehl » 03 Nov 2011 00:18

I'm attempting to use the new spreadsheet format to import a dynamic network into Gephi 0.8 beta. I've just finished creating a node file with time intervals. I imported that into Gephi just to see if I could see the node presence modulate over time as the visualization progresses. The problem is that when I press play, I see nothing happen.

Is there documentation that explains in more detail how to use the timeline controls and what sort of scale we should use for the time values? When I press play, I assume it steps forward in time at some interval? How does one define that interval?

Thanks, Chris

elijah
Gephi Community Support

Re: Suggested Time Value Scale?

Post by elijah » 03 Nov 2011 20:40

The time intervals need to be transformed using the Merge Column function:

http://wiki.gephi.org/index.php/Import_ ... e_Interval

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by eduramiba » 03 Nov 2011 21:01

You can also parse time intervals directly with the following syntax
<[1, 3]>

Eduardo

elijah
Gephi Community Support

Post by elijah » 04 Nov 2011 19:02

Eduardo, would that work with multiple blocks? For instance, if I have a link that is active in January and February and active again in July and August, could I write <[1,2],[7,8]> or do I need to write something that produces a custom GEXF, which is the only way I thought it was possible to have that kind of intervals.

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager

Post by eduramiba » 04 Nov 2011 21:27

Yes, you can parse time intervals like

Code: Select all

<[1,2];[7,9]>
for multiple blocks.

Eduardo

elijah
Gephi Community Support

Post by elijah » 04 Nov 2011 21:54

Sorry to be pedantic, but I'm not in a place to test this and I want to make sure I understand correctly, is it possible for me to pull this in from a database field formatted like that? If so, what variable type does the field need?

eduramiba
Gephi Code Manager

Post by eduramiba » 04 Nov 2011 23:48

No problem :)

The column needs to have TimeInterval type so it can parse that syntax.
For other dynamic types the syntax is similar (see https://gephi.org/users/supported-graph ... preadsheet).

Eduardo