[SOLVED] Transforming existing column in time interval

Evolution and dynamics on networks in Gephi: UI, data formats, algorithms...
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Benjamin82
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[SOLVED] Transforming existing column in time interval

Post by Benjamin82 » 26 May 2011 20:36

Hallo community,

I started using Gephi for my final thesis and I would like to analyse a dynamic network. Since now I have some problems in doing that, especially by importing my data into Gephi. On the one hand I’m not an expert in XML and on the other hand I got my data as an Excel sheet with more than 3000 rows. To increase my efficiency I would like to choose the way to work with csv files and after importing the file, merge it to a time interval, see here:
http://wiki.gephi.org/index.php/Import_ ... e_Interval

But there is a problem I cannot solve:

1)Let’s assume that there will be an actor in the network, who participated in three out of six meetings. That means that he participated in the first, second and the fourth meeting. And here is my problem, I can only merge the columns with one specified start and one specified end. But how can I handle actors if they should appear again after the first specified end during the dynamic network (if they appear twice, but between these two appearances there is a time gap). Is there any way to get a time interval like that: <[1;2];[4;4]> by merging columns? (1=First Meeting, 2= second Meeting..., instead of using real date)

2)Another question is, after I wrote my first dynamic graph with XML, I noticed that whenever I have a node with the following kind of time interval, for example <[1;3];[4;4]>, and a second one with <[3;3]> and a third node <[1;2]> and then use the timeline in Gephi to see the dynamics, I get the following result: between every “meeting” there is no smooth transfer between the two Meetings, which means that at the end of the second meeting the third nodes <[1;2]> vanishes (because of its time interval). Then I have to pull the button for a few centimetres to the right side before the second node with <[3;3]> will appear in the third meeting. It seems to be that there is a gap between the meetings if I choose the time intervals like that.
How can I reduce or even delete these gaps, maybe by using another kind of time intervals? I need this one for my visualisation.

Last question: As I have said at the beginning I would like to do dynamic network analysis. I read that Gephi 0.8 will be able to analyse dynamic algorithm like degree for example.
http://wiki.gephi.org/index.php/Specifi ... statistics

But I cannot find the way to do that in Gephi 0.8. Do I have to implement a kind of additional code? And will Gephi be able to calculate the degree, betweenness and density of such a dynamic network? Are there any tutorials? Because I just find the one here where it is already in it.
http://wiki.gephi.org/index.php/Specifi ... Statistics

Is there a tutorial to implement such codes?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the huge amount of question but I’m a bit under pressure as usually students are who are writing their final thesis ;-)

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Dynamics by transforming existing column in time interva

Post by admin » 26 May 2011 22:17

Hi,

1) It's possible to import such data. This example of a node table works:
Id,Time Interval
n0,"<[1,2];[4,4]>"
However you can't merge columns to create a complex interval like <[1;2];[4;4]>. The merge option to create a Time Interval only extends the boundaries of the interval, so you would have <[1;4]>.

2) Try to use an open interval so instead of <[3;3]> you would have <(2;3]>. The node should appear right after the date "2" is passed.

3) Dynamic network analysis is not available in Gephi yet because it is not mature enough.

Cheers!

Benjamin82

Re: Dynamics by transforming existing column in time interva

Post by Benjamin82 » 27 May 2011 13:41

Hi,

thank you very much for your answer. You really solved some big problems I have had. I have never really thought about merging the time interval first and than upload it into Gephi :D and my graph looks smoother with den intervals like “(“.

Thanks

Nice regards