Timeline overlap

Evolution and dynamics on networks in Gephi: UI, data formats, algorithms...
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
L.J.
Timeline overlap

Post by L.J. » 25 May 2011 19:12

Hello,

I have the following gexf file:

Code: Select all

<gexf xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.gexf.net/1.2draft http://www.gexf.net/1.2draft/gexf.xsd" version="1.2">
−
<meta lastmodifieddate="2011-05-24 11:39:21">
<creator>Gephi.org</creator>
</meta>
−
<graph defaultedgetype="directed" timeformat="integer" idtype="string" mode="dynamic" start="0" end="700">
−
<nodes count="4">
−
<node id="1" label="1">
<viz:size value="10.0"/>
<viz:color r="0" g="0" b="0"/>
<viz:position x="0.0" y="0.0" z="0.0"/>
−
<spells>
<spell start="0" end="300"/>
<spell start="500" end="600"/>
</spells>
</node>
−
<node id="2" label="2" start="0" end="500">
</node>
−
<node id="3" label="3" start="100" end="600">
</node>
−
<node id="4" label="4" start="150" end="600">
</node>
</nodes>
−
<edges>
<edge id="1-2" source="1" target="2" start="0" end="300">
</edge>
−
<edge id="1-3" source="1" target="3">
−
<spells>
<spell start="150" end="300"/>
<spell start="500" end="600"/>
</spells>
</edge>
<edge id="1-4" source="1" target="4" start="500" end="600">
</edge>
<edge id="2-3" source="2" target="3" start="100" end="500">
</edge>
<edge id="2-4" source="2" target="4" start="150" end="500">
</edge>
</edges>
</graph>
</gexf> 
It is supposed that in time=500 node "2" should disappear and node "1" should appear. The problem is that while moving the time line, there is a moment around time=500 where both nodes are in the screen. (probably because the width of the time line is not small enough)

How it can be solved?
(A play button that automatically runs and records the dynamics would be awesome)

Also what I expected to see in the current version is to support dynamic attributes. Indeed I expected to record some dynamics with dynamic attributes for an ongoing project... :(

Best regards
LJ.

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Timeline overlap

Post by admin » 26 May 2011 22:39

Hi LJ,

This behavior is correct since closed intervals are used here. Nodes 1 and 2 will still exist at the time "500". If you want the node 1 to terminate before, you can use an open interval with the attribute "endopen". I need to add an explanation in the GEXF Primer.

Dynamic attributes would be great but the architecture is not ready for that.

L.J.

Post by L.J. » 15 Jun 2011 07:27

Hello again,

Although your suggestion was extremely useful, it didn't exactly solved the problem. Me along with the computer technician that works in the lab found out that this problem has to do with the time line.

When somebody want to move back and forward in time, has to "activate" the time line, then they have to "reduce the length of the time line", and then "move" the small green piece. The problem appears because what it is shown in the screen is everything that it is present in the time BETWEEN the two extremes of that little time line cursor. Due to the fact that we cannot make that cursor of half a unit of time, we cannot see how a node appear and disappear at the same time.

Probably if the time line cursor could move automatically such a problem would disappear. (I do not remember if this is included in the ideas list).

Anyway, congratulations for such a great work.
LJ

PS: For me the most useful improvements that Gephi could implement at this time are:
- Dynamic attributes
- How to automatically move the time line and make a good quality movie (good enough for a TV program)

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by admin » 15 Jun 2011 08:24

Hi,

The Timeline is currently on active development for a better precision and movie creation, stay tuned ;)

thehelt

Post by thehelt » 06 Oct 2011 13:33

are there any news regardnign the timeline? Would be awesome.