Dynamic visualization using graph streaming

Evolution and dynamics on networks in Gephi: UI, data formats, algorithms...
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
francesco
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Dynamic visualization using graph streaming

Post by francesco » 22 May 2011 21:23

Hi all,

I have worked on the visualization of dynamic selection of chemical species for combustion simulations in engines.
It appears that Gephi is a very efficient tool to analyze how the selection algorithm works.

I have made a quick video to illustrate a whole compression and expansion stroke and see how the algorithm choose the species. You will see on this video the fuel (IC8H18) and ten major species (bigger circles) along with less important species (smaller circles). The algorithm dynamically add new species when needed and disabled them (light color) when it can to avoid unnecessary CPU time when solving the chemical system.

I have used the graph streaming API with some additional scripting of my own (e.g. to animate newly added species).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu07_KxpOhU

elijah
Gephi Community Support

Re: Dynamic visualization using graph streaming

Post by elijah » 23 May 2011 18:10

That's incredible! I never realized you could demonstrate any chemical interaction at the molecular level using dynamic graphs.

Come to think of it, the introduction of dynamic elements that are randomized at the server means you could run simulated tests of any kind of proposed network, which would allow you to come up with functional descriptions of network actors (whether they were atoms or people) that could be tested in models.

I really need to get my graph server up and running.

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by admin » 23 May 2011 23:03

Nice application!

francesco

Post by francesco » 24 May 2011 20:26

Thank you for your feedback.

I hope that I will have time to continue with this work and post new videos ;-)