[SOLVED] //edges,dynamic graph, discontinued period of times

Evolution and dynamics on networks in Gephi: UI, data formats, algorithms...
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
paul
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[SOLVED] //edges,dynamic graph, discontinued period of times

Post by paul » 01 Apr 2010 18:25

Hi there,

As I said I am discovering the joy of playing with dynamics.

Ok now my issue is having paralelle edges with different start and end dates.
To make it clear here is a sample :

Code: Select all

<edge source="3369" end="2007-01-22" target="2949" weight="1" start="2007-01-22" id="133">
        <attvalues>
          <attvalue for="0" value="1"/>
        </attvalues>
      </edge>
      <edge source="3369" end="2007-01-20" target="2949" weight="1" start="2007-01-20" id="131">
        <attvalues>
          <attvalue for="0" value="1"/>
        </attvalues>
      </edge>
See two edges with same sources and target but present only on 2007/01/20 and 2007/01/22.

All right I should use an other technic I guess ?
So here is the real question behind this :

How an edge has to be coded in gexf to be present or hidden at different dates which are not a continued period of time ?

Problem comes to the fact that start and end attributes allows only one period of times and not severals.
So no discontinued presence for edges possible becasue of paralell restriction.

Ok but Does the paralell restriction apply on all graph element ?

Can I for instance declare different attribute values for one attribute id with different start and end dates ?
in code that would be :

<edge source="3369" end="2007-05-30" target="2949" weight="1" start="2007-01-22" id="133">
        <attvalues>
          <attvalue for="0" value="1" start="2007-01-22" end="2007-01-26"/>
          <attvalue for="0" value="2" start="2007-02-14" end="2007-03-19"/>
          <attvalue for="0" value="3" start="2007-04-22" end="2007-05-30"/>
        </attvalues>
 </edge>

And when the attribute isn't set (from 2007-01-27 to 2007-02-13 and from 2007-03-20 to 2007-04-21 in my example) gephi could use default value ?

This is just a proposition.

To sum up my point :
how to make edges definition (presence or attribute value) change through time in non-continued period of time ?

thx for help

Paul

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: paralell edges, dynamic graph, discontinued period of times

Post by admin » 01 Apr 2010 20:20

Hi, parallel edges are not supported yet in Gephi.
How an edge has to be coded in gexf to be present or hidden at different dates which are not a continued period of time ?
You have to declare two edges. The principle is simple: each element comes into existence, live...and die.
Can I for instance declare different attribute values for one attribute id with different start and end dates ?
That's the good way to to.
And when the attribute isn't set (from 2007-01-27 to 2007-02-13 and from 2007-03-20 to 2007-04-21 in my example) gephi could use default value ?
That's the current behavior. Default value is declared at attribute's declaration.

paul

Post by paul » 02 Apr 2010 09:07

You have to declare two edges. The principle is simple: each element comes into existence, live...and die.
Well that's exactly what you can't do because of parallel edges... Not htat simple when the same links has to be live hten dead then live again etc...

That's the good way to to.
Ok cool I go for this solution then.

Thanks

Paul

jbilcke
Gephi Core Developer

Post by jbilcke » 02 Apr 2010 12:56

paul wrote:
Well that's exactly what you can't do because of parallel edges... Not htat simple when the same links has to be live hten dead then live again etc...
well actually, unless I misunderstood, you should use "slices" for this purpose:

<edge ... ... ... start="2009-01-01" end=2009-12-31">
    <slices>
            <slice end="2009-03-01"/><!-- only one (the first) slice may contains a single 'end' attribute; 'start' is simply inferred from the parent tag (edge's start), if present. if not, from the graph's start -->     
            <slice start="2009-02-05" end="2009-03-01"/>   
            <slice start="2009-03-05" end="2009-03-10"/><!--all other slices must of course be strictly defined in the time -->   
            <slice start="2009-06-01"/><!-- only one (the last) slice may contains a single 'start' attribute; 'end' is simply inferred from the parent tag (edge's end), if present. if not, from the graph's end -->         
    </slices>
</edge>

paul

Post by paul » 02 Apr 2010 13:10

Interesting.

I can see slices in the dynamic example but where can I find a explanation of this slice concept ?
Is there a gexf official documentation defining all elements and concepts ?

To be sure is a slice :
a subperiod of time of a node or edge time period in which the node or edge is alive
which implies :
if slices are defined a node or edge will not be alive in time perios not covered by slices

am I right ?

If yes it actually does what I needed.

Paul

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 02 Apr 2010 13:24

You'll find the theoretical background in this paper:

Skye Bender-deMoll and McFarland, Daniel A. (2006) “The Art and Science of Dynamic Network Visualization.” Journal of Social Structure. Volume 7, Number 2..(draft PDF)

I didn't talk about it, because this feature is not supported yet in Gephi, as this is a very late addition to the file format.

paul

Post by paul » 02 Apr 2010 14:13

Ok thanks for all those information.
I put slices in my todo list but 'll wait a gephi support first.

But as said upper, changing attributes values (weight) in time seems the good way for me.

Thanks for the paper, will read this.

P

paul

Post by paul » 05 Apr 2010 12:02

Ok I hadn't read the primer document which explain all what I was wondering about.
SO I add the link once again here for those you want to know more about dynamic GEXF : http://gexf.net/1.1draft/gexf-11draft-primer.pdf

Paul

gephi_gold

Re: [SOLVED] //edges,dynamic graph, discontinued period of t

Post by gephi_gold » 14 Jun 2013 15:39

@Paul:

Would it be possible for you to post the code you used to write in the attribute data in R?

Thanks,

Sam