Timeline Features Discussion

Discussion about future features
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jbilcke
Gephi Core Developer
Timeline Features Discussion

Post by jbilcke » 04 Oct 2010 18:45

Hi,
I propose to use this thread to talk about the timeline evolution : to list and discuss future improvements.
The first message of this thread (mine) will be updated if necessary, in order to reflect the progress of the discussion.

Timeline Player

A timeline player : you press a "play" button, and the graph will animate to show changes in your dynamic data.

Potential benefits:
- easier to visualize dynamic data
- added-value compared to similar softwares ? (seems a lot of people want it)
- very useful for show cases / movies
Potential issues:
- how fast should we see data ? which speed choose by default ? how would you like to change it ?
- what should be animated ? the lower interval ? the upper ? both ? how could we change this, while keeping it simple ? three button ? another way ?
- how to keep it easy to learn and use, without cluttering the interface ?
Suggested solutions, mockups or usecases:
- dual mode (basic / advanced) ?
- I was going to implement it like this: You click on one of the three time markers (begin,end,both), which turn red. Then you hit play, and this will move the selected marker.
Current status: planned at first, development halted (some code been produced), discussion opened to the community.

Zoomable Viewframe

To be able to zoom within the timeline viewframe.

Potential benefits:
- ability to navigate through large datasets, yet precisely
Potential issues:
- how to keep it as simple as possible ? simple vs advanced mode?
- how not to "get lost" if you zoom too much? how to keep the "global view" (ie. to be able to know where you are in the global timeframe) ?
- How do it, precisely : two views (one "zoom", one "global" ?) ? one atop the other ? what kind of visual signal, markers, feedbacks should we use ?
- inspiration from audio editing programs
- use of the mouse wheel ?
Current status: Planned at first, prototyped. Seems a bit hard to do it correctly (ie. easy and useful), discussion opened

Precise Timeline

To be able to enter a precise begin-end date for the selection

Potential benefits:
- precise selection
Potential issues:
- not really, except to do it nicely
- with or without a calendar picker ?
- I suggest the following: Show the begin date, and the End date of the selection.
If you click, or double click on it, you can change the value (or select it from a calendar?)
If you move the mouse on it, you get a "classic" visual feedback to show that you can edit it.
Current status: ?

Since development of Gephi is now mostly community driven, I believe this is essential to let everybody participate, and propose solutions (eg. screenshots from audio software, photo mockups, drawing..). For my concern, I am neither an ergonomist or a designer, and I can only suggest, transform, remix things I saw in other applications ;)

the zoomable timeframe seems particularly tricky to me. Like Snurb, I did use audio editing software, but I might be biased since I already adapted myself to them, to the point they seems normal to me (maybe these old audio editing software could be improved too!), but might not to beginners or non-technicians.
Moreover, they have the advantage that they can show something : notes, partitions, waveform, while the current timeline is blank, thus one get an immediate feeling on the effects of the modification/zoom.

Maybe this could be the topic for another improvement (show some statictical data within the timeline ?)

mbastian
Gephi Architect
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Timeline Features Discussion

Post by mbastian » 07 Oct 2010 15:26

Excellent work on summarizing your ideas. I created a new page on the Dev Portal => Core Evolution - Timeline improvements.

Let's continue the discussion. I personally agree with your statements. I think setting a precise date to the timeline is the most urgent need. Others need more discussions anyway.

Sima
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Sima » 12 Oct 2010 16:48

Hi,

Thank you jbilcke for the summary which helps us in having an overivew about the different suggestion for implementing timeline player.

I like the precise date approach and i think it is the most appropriate way. I am interesting in working in such a component so, can I have an idea about what has been done so fare in timeline implemntation and what are the remaining tasks.

In addition to that can I have a brief about the idea of implementing the timeline and the files that i need to works on. :roll:

Thank you and looking forward to recieve a reply ASAP Pleeeeeeeease :)

Sima Sadlah

tjwoods

Post by tjwoods » 23 Feb 2011 17:56

I am very interested in the timeline player, and in particular in being able to save/export a movie or animation once the animation is set up as desired. The idea is that I would like to be able to post or send a movie to someone so that they can see a visualization of a graph evolving. Right now I am planning to resort to stringing several still snapshots of a graph together into a movie, but I imagine being able to capture an evolving graph as a GEFX file and then generate an animation using Gephi much more quickly.

Is the timeline player still on the radar?

tjwoods

Post by tjwoods » 18 Apr 2011 15:30

Another thought about animating dynamic graphs with the Timeline Player.

I have a graph that has some very short-duration events, between 1/60000 and 1/600 of the entire timeline. Currently, I cannot select and drag a small enough range for these events (changes in edge weights) to show in the animation. A solution that would work well enough for me is to be able to select (and drag) a point-in-time on the timeline rather than a range. Perhaps this is possible right now and I am missing it, but if not it would it might be a very helpful intermediate feature on the way to automated animation of a dynamic graph.

L.J.

Post by L.J. » 15 Jun 2011 07:35

Oooops, I have just notice that this forum thread exist...

This post it is also related with the time line player
http://forum.gephi.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1143#p3714