[SOLVED] Difficulty loading dynamic gexf examples

All questions about the GEXF (see http://gexf.net before)
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
sgallagh
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[SOLVED] Difficulty loading dynamic gexf examples

Post by sgallagh » 17 Mar 2010 14:18

Hi--
I've been trying to run the dynamic example from:
http://gexf.net/format/dynamics.html

So, I took the gexf as it was, copied it into a text editor with the gexf extentsion and attempted to open in Gephi.

I receive an "Impossible to parse the given XML" error. I have been unable to get any dynamic example, or to write my own, to run. I was wondering if someone could point me to what I'm doing wrong.

I've included the traceback below.
Thanks-
sg

java.lang.RuntimeException: Impossible to parse the given XML file
at org.gephi.desktop.importer.DesktopImportController.getDocument(DesktopImportController.java:359)
at org.gephi.desktop.importer.DesktopImportController.importXML(DesktopImportController.java:128)
at org.gephi.desktop.importer.DesktopImportController.doImport(DesktopImportController.java:116)
at org.gephi.branding.desktop.actions.OpenFile.actionPerformed(OpenFile.java:93)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2028)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2351)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:387)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:242)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:389)
at com.apple.laf.ScreenMenuItem.actionPerformed(ScreenMenuItem.java:95)
at java.awt.MenuItem.processActionEvent(MenuItem.java:627)
at java.awt.MenuItem.processEvent(MenuItem.java:586)
at java.awt.MenuComponent.dispatchEventImpl(MenuComponent.java:317)
at java.awt.MenuComponent.dispatchEvent(MenuComponent.java:305)
[catch] at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:638)
at org.netbeans.core.TimableEventQueue.dispatchEvent(TimableEventQueue.java:125)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:296)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:211)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:196)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:188)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:122)

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Dificulty loading dynamic gexf examples

Post by admin » 17 Mar 2010 17:23

Hi,

Did you try just to download the proper .gexf file available on the page?

Copy-paste HTML text can't work because of specific formatting needed to be displayed.

HTH

sgallagh

Post by sgallagh » 22 Mar 2010 14:47

Thank you for the reply.

I'm sorry for not understanding what you mean by "download". I see no option to download--I have only been able to copy/paste the XML, and I save it in a text editor with UTF-8 no bom, and windows crlf line breaks. Is that a reasonable thing to be doing?

Also, I tried writting a basic one manually following the gexf specifications. This works for static graphs, but I can get nothing dynamic to work :(

Your guidance is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
sg

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 22 Mar 2010 22:54

Hi,

By downloading, I mean right-clicking on the link and saving the file, because your browser may open it inside a window.

Dynamics currently works on graph topology. All you have to do is to set a "start" and an "end" xml-attribute to nodes (and edges if needed), and verifying that there is no incoherence. I firstly advise you to read the primer document to become familiar with the concept of 'scope'.

If you've read it, you may start by adding node's start and end xml-attributes. The value is a date (yyyy-mm-dd) or a float.

sgallagh

Post by sgallagh » 23 Mar 2010 21:25

Thank you. I have read the primer. I have also been able to successfully load a dynamic file (the example) however, I cannot see how to animate the graph (i.e. it displays statically). I have accessed the timeline, and tried to play with the dynamic range filter, but have not been able to achieve any animation.

Is there more documentation, or examples, on how to animate the graph or broader documentation besides the primer?

Thanks for your time!

mbastian
Gephi Architect

Post by mbastian » 25 Mar 2010 14:49

You have some information on this post: http://forum.gephi.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23&start=10

I'll work on a dynamic graph tutorial asap!