Simpler GEXF format when exporting grouped partitions?

All questions about the GEXF (see http://gexf.net before)
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
seinecle
Gephi Community Support
Simpler GEXF format when exporting grouped partitions?

Post by seinecle » 01 Sep 2010 14:42

Hi,

If I understood correctly:

Nodes of a graph can be grouped according to partitions:

If I have a network of 100 nodes, with a partition which creates two groups of 60 and 40 nodes, then it is possible to visualize a simple graph with two nodes: one for the group of 60 nodes, the other for the group of 40 nodes.

My question relates to the exportation of this grouped (aggregated) graph of two nodes
=> it can be exported in GDF and CSV (I did not check for GraphML): I get the code for a graph made of 2 nodes.
=> but the exportation with GEXF creates a mix of the previous graph (100 nodes) and the new, aggregated graph (2 nodes). I am sure that the GEPHI team did that to be helpful and offer both the aggregated and disaggregated graph in one GEXF file, but the result makes it very hard in fact to work on the aggregated mode (=> the two nodes of the aggregated level!)

:arrow: Would it be possible to implement an export of partitioned graphs in the GEXF format which functions as simply as it is currently the case in GDF and CSV?

Thx!

Clement

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Simpler GEXF format when exporting grouped partitions?

Post by admin » 01 Sep 2010 15:26

It could be an option to export only the current level of graph hierarchy. I filled the Ideas list.

mbastian
Gephi Architect
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Simpler GEXF format when exporting grouped partitions?

Post by mbastian » 01 Sep 2010 16:22

Hi, yes good observation. More precisely, the exporter exports the hierarchical graph, which is the complete structure. When you're at one level in the hierarchy it is named a view, which is a simple graph and can therefore be exported in any format (GDF, CSV...).

You can already configure this, by selecting "Visible Graph" instead of "Full graph" in the export dialog settings.
=> Visible is always a simple graph, and is the filtered graph is a filter is active
=> Full is a hierarchical graph for GEXF and GraphML exporters and a simple graph for the others.

I'm not sure the GEXF exporter is working the best with hierarchy (with meta edges). I advice to wait for beta, as it was rewritten and stricly follow the behavior above.