[SOLVED] does Gephi 0.8 alpha support viz:shape ?

All questions about the GEXF (see http://gexf.net before)
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
pacoid
[SOLVED] does Gephi 0.8 alpha support viz:shape ?

Post by pacoid » 25 Apr 2011 01:47

I've been working with the 1.2 draft Primer, and trying to change the shape of nodes. This is with Gephi 0.8 alpha. For example:

Code: Select all

<node id="41" label="11885583">
 <viz:color r="255" g="255" b="0" a="0.7"/>
 <viz:size value="3"/>
 <viz:shape value="diamond"/>
</node>
No matter which shape value used, the nodes always render as "disc". Is support for viz:shape included in this release?

BTW, I'm very impressed with this release and with GEXF in general! :)
Paco

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: does Gephi 0.8 alpha support viz:shape ?

Post by admin » 25 Apr 2011 14:11

Hi,

Different shapes are not supported yet by Gephi, but it is planned...

pacoid

Post by pacoid » 26 Apr 2011 05:06

Many thanks! I'll keep generating features in our GEXF files, and look forward to implementation in Gephi.

There are two other questions which I haven't been able to find in the documentation:

1. Is it possible to have a directed edge, but not render as an arrow?

We have some large, complex graphs, where it would be better to not use the arrows, since they make the graph visualization seem more "busy".

2. Is it possible to disable or change colors for the borders of shapes?

For example, a "disc" shape rendered in Gephi appears to have a gray border. Having single color nodes would help make the visualization less "busy".

Paco

seinecle
Gephi Community Support

Post by seinecle » 26 Apr 2011 09:42

Hey Paco,

Glad to see you here!

On your questions, I give you answers to the best of my knowledge, but I am always glad to be contradicted if I missed any feature:

1. directed edges are always rendered with an arrow.
If you need a directed network to be rendered without arrows, import it as an undirected network (there is an option for this in the import dialogue window). Then if you need to compute metrics on the directed network, it is still possible since the algos have an intro window asking you whether your network is directed or not - indicate that it is.

2. Color of the borders of shapes can be changed in the preview mode, not in the overview mode.

Best,

Clement

mbastian
Gephi Architect
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by mbastian » 26 Apr 2011 16:27

If you need a directed network to be rendered without arrows, import it as an undirected network (there is an option for this in the import dialogue window). Then if you need to compute metrics on the directed network, it is still possible since the algos have an intro window asking you whether your network is directed or not - indicate that it is.
Hum, if you import your network as undirected, it loses the direction data. Though you can get a directed network from an undirected, the direction of edges will be arbitrary and is not suitable for metrics. That makes me think we should maybe disable 'directed' on metric settings if the graph is undirected. The contrary works well and makes more sense.

And for your questions Paco, these options should be available in the Preview.

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 26 Apr 2011 16:45

I filled a bug, this is important.

pacoid

Post by pacoid » 28 Apr 2011 07:29

Great, thanks for all the help!

peyotino

Post by peyotino » 09 May 2011 00:08

hello
I have the opposite problem with gephi 0.8... for me it's impossible to put arrows in directed edge... straights or curved, it's the same for me... I just can't have the arrows and I really need it in my graph !
Anyone knows about put arrows ? I'll really appreciate if someone can explain me how can I do it !!!
thank's
peyo

babutsidze

Post by babutsidze » 15 Jan 2012 15:42

Hi All,

did peyotino find an answer to the above question?

I am trying hard to visualize and arrow and although everything seems fine in overview, once I get to preview and exported output the links are depicted without arrows.

Does someone have a tip on how to resolve the problem?

admin
Gephi Community Manager

Post by admin » 08 May 2012 18:33

Hi, it was answered here.