Implementing Dynamic Graphs

General support of the libgexf dynamic library.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
slithy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Implementing Dynamic Graphs

Post by slithy » 24 Jun 2010 17:16

Hey Sebastien,

I am new to libgexf but I was just having a look at the source code to see what the status was of dynamic graphs. I thought that DynamicGraph might be implemented something like a subclass of Graph and/or a template type of Directed or Undirected Graph, but it seems to be a class all on its own. What was the intended syntax to use this class?

What was your plan to implement this? Were you going to rework some of the existing classes/code? How much work do you think it would be? I might be interested in contributing.

admin
Gephi Community Manager
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Implementing Dynamic Graphs

Post by admin » 24 Jun 2010 19:48

Hi,

Thanks for your interest! Libgexf was primarily developed for static graphs. I started to work on dynamics at the end but quickly had to abandon because the data structures can't deal with this new dimension in an efficient way. The code is also under-architectured and requires a complete refactoring. I'm not very proud of it, but this first version works for what it was designed for :)

I won't work on it anymore because I've other priorities (a great surprise will be announced soon...), but I'd be very happy to provide a close mentoring and discuss about SWIG compilation if you want to contribute. Note that I'm not a C++/SWIG guru. This version of libgexf overcomes the main issues in SWIG compilation and XML processing, but data structures may be improved, also by supporting hierarchical graphs.

It's a work for 3 to 6 months, depending on your skills. I give you the keys of the project if you're motivated in contributing!

slithy

Re: Implementing Dynamic Graphs

Post by slithy » 28 Jun 2010 10:42

Thanks for replying. Hmm, I'm not sure if I'm ready to take over the entire project on my own.

I'm doing some research into data mining and network visualisation as part of my MSc. so this is relevant, but a bit too much work to do before my dissertation deadline in September. There is a possibility that I may carry this research into a Ph.D, and if that happens it would be more feasible for me to rewrite the library -- it might be a nice self-contained project to kick off the Ph.D research. I'll let you know!